As a Job Captain, you will be supporting the Senior Designer/Architect/Manager in the design and documentation of projects and working with team members on small to large scale residential, mixed-use, and hospitality projects. You will be mentoring junior staff and engaging in further knowledge transfer of design principles, processes, building codes, and methods of construction.
Potential candidates must have strong technical skills with an eye towards design, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to support projects working both individually and in teams.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Work independently to contribute to the full range of architectural services on small to medium-sized projects or to oversee smaller portions of large projects as part of a design team.
- Lead the refinement, coordination, and further develop design concepts as directed by Senior Designer/Architect/Manager.
- Contribute to the planning and design concepts for complex projects.
- Oversee coordination of design work of junior staff to ensure integration and cohesion within the design team.
- Provide oversight and mentorship to junior staff.
- Present design solutions to client representatives and/or design review committees.
- Art direct the development of visualizations for presentations.
- Lead coordination of drawings with other design disciplines.
- Find technical solutions to deliver the design through documentation and detailing while preserving design intent.
- Relate building design concepts to building codes, zoning ordinances, and other external criteria.
- Prepare, develop, edit and coordinate specifications with drawings to meeting project requirements.
- Evaluate, select and/or approve materials and products.
- Work seamlessly between 2D and 3D drawing environments to effectively communicate ideas.
- Support senior staff members based on project needs.
- Strong 3D Modeling skills (SketchUp, Rhino, and Revit).
- Proficiency in rendering software (Enscape, Vray, Lumion, and 3D Studio Max).
- Proficiency with CAD/BIM documentation software (AutoCAD and Revit).
- Advanced knowledge of BIM or Parametric Design is an asset (Revit, Dynamo, and Grasshopper).
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Proficiency in Adobe Create Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign).
- Ability to sketch and develop design ideas graphically (Diagramming by hand or digitally).
- Ability to discuss and communicate ideas with verbal and graphic clarity.
- Ability to effectively manage time and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Fast learner who can adapt to a variety of project requirements.
- A professional degree in Architecture (BArch/March).
- 6+ Years of professional experience.
- Architectural license (preferred) or is currently eligible to take the Architectural Registration Exam (ARE).
- LEED Accredited Professional is preferred.
- Previous work experience in high-end residential, mixed-use, and hospitality projects is preferred.
benefits and compensation:
- SB Architects offers full benefits for its staff, 401k matching, bi-annual bonuses, and competitive compensation.
- We work on a “9/80” work schedule with every other Friday off.
- Opportunities to join weekly workout and yoga classes hosted with “SB Fit”.
- Social outings including baseball games, picnics, and other team-building events throughout the year.
Qualified candidates should e-mail their resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Job Captain / SF / YourName.